TOWN OF SEVASTOPOL
Door County, Wisconsin
MINUTES - BOARD OF SUPERVISORS' MEETING
Date: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 7:00 p.m.
Location: Town Hall Meeting/Community Room
4528 STH 57 (Institute), Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
Call to Order: Chairman Leo W. Zipperer called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
Pledge of Allegiance: The Chairman asked all to rise and join in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Roll Call/Quorum: Present were Chairman Zipperer, Supervisors Chuck Tice, Dan Woelfel, Tom Girman and John Staveness. Also present: clerk/treasurer Linda Wait, Laddie Chapman, Nancy Raye and Allen Farley.
Meet & Greet – Door County Sheriff’s Department. None available
Public Participation: None.
Agenda/proper notice/adopt: Having been properly noticed, motion by Staveness and second by Woelfel to adopt the agenda. Motion carried.
Approval of Minutes: Motion by Tice and second by Girman to approve the Board of Supervisors’ minutes of August 22, 2011. Motion carried.
1) Petition for Grant of Variance. Nancy Raye was present to explain her request to construct an 8 x 16 foot deck located on the west side of her property at 4611 State Hwy 42. The proposed deck would be 32 feet from the west setback line requirement of 50 feet. The home was constructed prior to a split of the original parcel. Following discussion, motion by Staveness and second by Girman to recommend that the Door County Board of Adjustment approve the Raye petition for grant of variance to construct an 8 x 16 foot deck. Motion carried, unanimously.
Financial Reports: Motion by Tice and second by Girman to approve the clerk/treasurer monthly reports for August 2011, including budget vs. actual, account balances and transactions. Motion carried.
Approval of Vouchers / Bills / Claims. Motion by Tice and second by Girman to approve the vouchers, bills and claims for the period August 23-September 19, 2011. Motion carried.
Oral Committee Reports & Minutes. The following minutes will be accepted and placed on file:
• Parks & Recreation Board minutes of July 13, 2011
• Plan Commission minutes of June 22, 2011
• Door County Coastal Byway minutes of July 13, 2011.
1) Farmland Preservation & Text Amendments. Staveness indicated that the items require further review by the Plan Commission before a recommendation can be made.
2) Schauer Road. Zipperer continues negotiations with Wis DNR Park Ranger Tony Knipfer, Door County Parks Director George Pinney and the Door County Highway Department on garnering funds and in kind contributions to cost share the Schauer Road improvements. LRIP funds of $20,000 have been awarded to assist in the purchase of asphalt hot mix. Total distance of roadway equals 1.09 miles from WD to the Jacksonport boundary, with an estimated cost of $120,000-plus.
3) Dog Leash Ordinance. Continued discussion on the discrepancy between the keeping of animals ordinance and dog control ordinance as to whether or not a leash is required. Zipperer will check with legal counsel to see what steps are needed for conformity between the ordinance and what enforcement options are available. By consensus, the matter will lay over to next meeting.
2) Employee Grievance Procedure. See Resolution No. 08-2011 TB, below.
3) Town hall driveway. To better accommodate vehicle traffic in and out of the town hall parking lot, the driveway is proposed to be widened. Door County Highway Department has provided an estimated cost of $2,530. Other suggestions were solicited by the Chairman; if none are received, work is expected to be completed the second week of October.
No. 07-2011 TB “Support of Door County Land Trust Purchase of Baudhuin Properties.” In follow up to the Board’s August 22, 2011 unanimous approval and endorsement of the Door County Land Trust’s purchase of 483 acres of Baudhuin properties in and about the areas of Schwartz Lake and Arbter Lake, motion by Girman and second by Woelfel to adopt Resolution No. 07-2011 TB. Motion carried, unanimously.
No. 08-2011 TB “Adoption of Employee Grievance Procedure.” Wait indicated that pursuant to Wisconsin Act 10, the Budget Repair Bill, all municipal employers must offer some form of grievance procedure to all employees. The procedure must be in place no later than October 1, 2011. The resolution and procedure were prepared based on format provided by the Wisconsin Towns Association. Motion by Woelfel and second by Staveness to adopt Resolution No. 08-2011 TB and to designate the Wisconsin Employment Relations Commission as the hearing officer, with the fee established at $800 and to be divided equally between the employer and grieving employee. Motion carried, unanimously.
Correspondence. The following correspondence was accepted and will be placed on file:
• Sturgeon Bay Fire Department – July 2011 fire report. Girman commended the Fire Department
for its water rescue on July 20thand quick response to the recent grass fire on Old Highway Road.
• Independent Inspections, Ltd. building permit recap for August 2011
• Door County Zoning Department zoning permits for August 2011
• Invitation to participate in NACo prescription discount card program
• Door County Planning Department educational session on Plan Commission, county-wide bike plan,
farmland preservation and shoreland zoning – Thursday, September 29th– 5:30 p.m.
• Wis DNR managed forest enrollments
• Wis Dept of Revenue – update on uniform standards for appraisers and assessors
• Delay in sign reflectivity standards
• Local Roads Improvement Program (LRIP) informational meeting – DC Highway facility
on October 5th- 1:00 p.m.
• Door County Zoning Text Amendment – road setback and alleys
• Fire/Rescue Services – Thursday, September 29th– 7:00 p.m.
• Sevastopol Historical Society – Monday, September 26th– 6:30 p.m.
• Budget Work Session – Thursday, October 6th– 6:00 p.m.
• Parks & Recreation Board – Tuesday, October 11th- 6:00 p.m.
• Plan Commission – Wednesday, October 19th– 7:00 p.m.
• WTA Convention – October 23-26 in Green Bay
• Board of Supervisors – Monday, October 24th– 7:00 p.m.
Agenda Items for Next Meeting:
Dog Leash / Text amendments & farmland preservation
Adjourn: Motion by Woelfel and second by Staveness to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 8:15 p.m.
Linda Wait, Clerk