TOWN OF SEVASTOPOL
Door County WI
MINUTES - BOARD OF SUPERVISORS' MEETING
Date: Monday, November 21, 2011 - 7:00 p.m.
Location: Town Hall Meeting/Community Room
4528 State Highway 57 (Institute), Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
Call to Order: Chairman Leo W. Zipperer called the meeting to order at 7:07 p.m.
Pledge of Allegiance: The Chairman asked all to rise and join in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Roll Call/Quorum: Answering the call were Chairman Zipperer, Supervisors John Staveness, Dan Woelfel, Tom Girman and Chuck Tice. Also in attendance were: clerk/treasurer Linda Wait, Laddie Chapman, Deputy Bob Lauder and Bob Stracka.
Meet & Greet – Public Participation.
• Door County Sheriff’s Deputy Bob Lauder responded to a questions and concerns on the recent vandalism to traffic signs and speed limits.
Agenda/proper notice/adopt. Having been properly noticed, motion by Tice and second by Woelfel to adopt the agenda. Motion carried.
Approval of Minutes: Motion by Staveness and second by Tice to approve the Board of Supervisors’ minutes of October 24, 2011. Motion carried.
Financial Reports for October 2011 and Approval of Vouchers / Bills / Claims. Motion by Tice and second by Girman to accept the financial reports for October 2011 and to approve the vouchers, bills and claims for the period October 25, 2011-November 21, 2011. Motion carried.
Oral Committee Reports & Minutes.
• Girman stated that the Cable PEG Committee recently approved the purchase of a new camera, along with the ancillary tripod, carrying cases, storage disks and a Drobo backup, for a total of $6,900.
• Girman said that the Fire/Rescue Services Committee approved the hiring of Public Administration Associates, LLC (PAA) of Oshkosh to proceed with the evaluation of our fire protection services. The firm was recommended by Sturgeon Bay City Administrator Steve McNeil; Fire Chief Tim Herlache will be included in responses.
a) Dog Leash Ordinance. Zipperer has been in contact with Attorney Randy Nesbitt, who is of the opinion that we need to re-address the ordinances dealing with animal/dog control and enforcement of their provisions. He suggests amending or re-creating a new ordinance that is in concert with state statutes so that it is enforceable. Tice said those portions we are not going to enforce should be eliminated and offered to rewrite the ordinance. The matter will be brought back over the next couple months for clarification.
b) 5359 South Lake Road – request for tree removal. Bob Stracka believes that the trees in question have not been cut as yet. Zipperer responded they are flagged and that the DNR has given the go-ahead to have them removed. The trees will be taken out when scheduling allows, along with a stump removal on North Cave Point Road, just north of Whitefish Dunes, by Acorn Tree Service.
1) Adoption of 2012 Town Budget. Motion by Girman and second by Tice to adopt the 2012 budget as proposed and subsequently amended at the budget hearing/special town meeting held earlier, with a total expenditure of $1,101,324 and a 2011 property tax levy of $597,000 (to be collected in 2012). Motion carried, unanimously.
2) 2012 Meeting Schedule. Board members are asked to review the draft schedule for any conflict in proposed meeting dates.
3) Indoor/Outdoor Tree Trimming. Anyone interested in trimming the town hall Christmas tree is invited to show up at 9:00 a.m. on Friday, November 25th. It was agreed that on Saturday, December 3rd, the grader will be moved and outdoor lighting attended to.
4) Municipal Taxpayer Commission (MTC). The MTC was formed in 2002 in an attempt to remove technical college funding from property taxes. Concerns seemed to fall on deaf ears and the matter has been held in abeyance since 2008. Woelfel suggested that it be a topic for the next Door County Unit of WTA meeting (February 9, 2012) in hopes that Representative Garey Bies and Senator Frank Lasee would be in attendance to provide input. The clerk will make the request to Unit Chair Ann Miller.
5) Municipal Liability and Selected Immunities. Zipperer included the handout for informational purposes and as a reminder that independent contractors and others working on town property should be required to provide certificates of liability insurance. The matter will be brought back in resolution form in December or January.
Correspondence. The following correspondence was accepted and will be placed on file:
• City of Sturgeon Bay Fire Department October 2011 fire report.
• Door County 2012 budget and tax levy resolution, total expense of $70,975,571 and 2012 county tax levy of $24,789,531 with tax rate of $3.49 per thousand of equalized value.
• Independent Inspections, Ltd billing recap and Door County zoning permits for October 2011.
• Room tax collections reporting for August 2011.
• Door County Planning - notice of education/discussion meeting for board and plan commission members scheduled for Tuesday, November 29th, at 5:30 p.m. at Government Center.
• Jeff Sanders/Community Planning & Consulting, LLC – offer to address remaining implementation actions identified in comprehensive plan.
• WisLine local land use and planning/zoning series.
• Notice of Board of Adjustment decision – Gryzwa/Chenevert petition for variance, to be reconsidered.
• Notice of Board of Adjustment decision – Raye petition for grant of variance, granted.
• League of Women Voters – notice of programs on changes in elections.
• Wis Department of Administration – 2011 Wisconsin Great Lakes Chronicle.
• Thanksgiving Day – Thursday, November 24th– office closed
• Tree Trimming at Park & Town Hall – Friday morning, November 25th(indoor) and Saturday morning, December 3rd(outdoor) – everyone invited
• Door County Planning educational session – Tuesday, November 29th– 5:30 pm
at Government Center in Sturgeon Bay (variances, use permits, zoning)
• Snowmobile Safety Course – Tuesday evening, Dec. 6thand Saturday morning, Dec. 10th
at Sevastopol town hall
• Sevastopol Historical Society – Christmas party, Monday, Dec. 12th– 6 pm at town hall
• Door County Tourism Zone Commission – Thursday, Dec. 15th– 9 am at
Sevastopol town hall
• Board of Supervisors – Monday, December 19th– 7 pm at town hall
Adjourn: Motion by Woelfel and second by Staveness to adjourn. Motion carried and meeting adjourned at 8:09 p.m.
Linda Wait, Clerk - Town of Sevastopol