TOWN OF SEVASTOPOL
MINUTES - BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
Date: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 7:00 p.m.
Location: Town Hall Meeting/Community Room
4528 STH 57 (Institute), Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
Call to Order: Chairman Leo W. Zipperer called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
Pledge of Allegiance: The Chairman asked all to rise and join in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Roll Call/Quorum: Present were Chairman Zipperer, Supervisors Chuck Tice, Tom Girman, John Staveness and Dan Woelfel. Also in attendance: Clerk/Treasurer Linda Wait, Program Director Laddie Chapman, Mary Boston, John Boston, Peter Kerwin, Greg Stillman, Del Herrbold, Paul Schumacher and Lawrie Kull.
Meet & Greet – Door County Sheriff’s Department: None present.
Public Participation: None.
Agenda/proper notice/adopt: Motion by Tice and second by Woelfel to adopt the agenda, as noticed. Motion carried.
Approval of Minutes: Motion by Tice and second by Girman to approve the Board of Supervisors’ minutes of April 18, 2011. Motion carried. Motion by Tice and second by Girman to approve the Road Inspection minutes of May 14, 2011. Motion carried.
7:05 p.m. Del Herrbold, agent for Rural Mutual Insurance, summarized the coverage and premiums under our current business owners and workers compensation policies. Following discussion, motion by Woelfel and second by Staveness to renew both policies to June 1, 2012, conditioned upon a dollar increase in the blanket personal property limit and an endorsement for property of others. Motion carried, unanimously. The clerk will compile a current list of town hall furnishings, office and video recording equipment, along with property of others currently in the building and provide values for both.
Financial Reports: Motion by Girman and second by Tice to approve the clerk/treasurer monthly reports on account balances, transaction list and budget vs. actual for the period April and May 2011. Motion carried.
Approval of Vouchers / Bills / Claims: Motion by Tice and second by Staveness to approve the vouchers, bills and claims for the period April-May 2011. Motion carried.
Committee & Commission Minutes. The following minutes were accepted and will be placed on file: Parks & Rec Board of 3/8/2011 and 4/13/2011; Door County Coastal Byway Council of 4/26/2011.
1) Door County Tourism Zone Commission & Community Marketing Fund. Tice reported that the annual meeting of the DCTZC is scheduled for June 16th at Jacksonport (9 a.m.). Sevastopol’s 30% of room tax collected for March amounted to $1,523. If you notice “for rent” signs going up, we want to be sure these locations are permitted and collecting room tax. Tice believes an agreement has been reached between the DCVB and the marketing associations for the community marketing fund (now known as the Strategic Community Partnership) at $235,000.
7:30 Special Report. Peter Kerwin appeared on behalf of the Sturgeon Bay Visitors Center and provided some background on the SCP and Sevastopol’s options and opportunities to continue participation with the SBVC. This includes the annual visitor’s guide and website. The SBVC has an annual budget of approximately $400,000 which covers staffing, 2 locations, advertising and brochures. Revenue comes from the SCP, membership dues and funding through special events.
Peter thanked Sevastopol for its past support and urged our local businesses to become members of the SBVC. Since Sevastopol uses the Sturgeon Bay zip code, our businesses can benefit through that identification. The cutoff date to be included in the visitor’s guide is mid-December and members must have their listings in by then in order to go to print by January. Greg Stillman, past SBVC president, also believed that Sevastopol received a return on the SCP dollars and appreciated our past support.
Following discussion, motion by Girman and second by Woelfel that Sevastopol direct its portion of the SCP to Sturgeon Bay for advertising in 2012. Motion carried, unanimously.
2) Building inspections. Notice from Independent Inspections, Ltd., that they will be requiring lead safe renovation notification for remodeling projects built before 1978.
3) Clark Lake dam and spillway. Woelfel reported that DNR regulations would be excessive and difficult to implement at this point. Motion by Woelfel and second by Staveness to table the matter. Motion carried.
4) Wisconsin Towns Association. Access to the online educational videos is now available. The clerk will provide user name and passwords to the board members.
5) Farmland Preservation/Exclusive Ag/Ag Enterprise areas. Matter tabled pending meeting of Plan Commission.
6) 2011 Meeting Schedule “Adopted”. Chairman furnished copies of the finalized meeting schedule for 2011.
1) General Criteria on Zoning Cases. As a refresher, the Door County Planning Department provided general criteria regarding zoning hearing cases in Door County on zoning text and map amendments, conditional use permits and petitions for variance.
2) Door County Humane Society. The first quarter 2011 intake report reflects 4 stray dogs and 2 stray cats from Sevastopol.
3) JKGolf alcohol beverage license status. The clerk sent an email reminding that the current license will expire June 30th 2011, that the license must be held by the actual operator deriving the profits and that applications must be on file at least 15 days prior to issuance of a renewal or new license.
4) Redistricting. Zipperer reported that redistricting is required every 10 years and is based on population. The matter will be reviewed by the County Board on May 24th, is subject to municipality approval, and will become effective in April 2012. The new redistricting will shift Sevastopol’s Supervisory District 14 to the east to Mathey Road south of Hwy 57 and will shift District 15 to the west from Hwy 42 to Reynolds Road.
5) Door County Buy Local Program. No action taken--handout provided.
6) Road Work 2011. Zipperer submitted the following 2011 road work for approval:
Bluff Court, .9 miles, Old OR to Bay Shore, wedge & overlay
South Lake Drive, beach parking area, create pervious drainage and slope
South Lake Drive, .27 miles, beach to Clark Lake, wedge & overlay
Schauer Road, .64 miles, gravel, pulverize & overlay (LRIP project)
South Erdmann, .26 miles, West Shore to Sylvan View, heavy wedge
Bay Shore Heights, .23 miles, Harder Hill to Whitefish Bay, wedge &overlay
Cricket/Grasshopper/Spider/Butterfly, .36 miles, overlay and create 2% grade
Motion by Tice and second by Woelfel to approve 2011 road work as identified, subject to costs to be determined following bid. Motion carried, unanimously.
7) Invitation to Bid. Board approved advertising for bids, quotes or estimates for road work to be accomplished prior to October 15, 2011 and must be received at the town office by 3:00 p.m. on June 17, 2011. Sealed bids will be awarded by the town board on June 20, 2011.
8) Application for Permit to Keep Animals. Tice indicated that the permit is a result of Ordinance No. 03-2011 “Keeping of Animals” and will apply only to those owners that wish to keep more than 4 animals in a highly populated residential area, which is defined as less than 5 acres and where 3 or more residences are less than 600 feet apart. There will be no fee at this time. Animal owners will have 6 months to obtain their grandfathered permits.
Resolution & Ordinances– discussion & action:
1) Resolution No. 04-2011 TB “Renaming of Strahan Road” to “Stoeger-Strahan Road.” The Board minutes of April 18, 2011 reflect that the name change would be “Strahan-Stoeger” Road. However, Zipperer reported that the addressing specialist recommended an alphabetical listing. Motion by Woelfel and second by Staveness to approve Resolution No. 04-2011. Following roll call vote, motion carried, unanimously (Zipperer-aye, Tice-aye, Staveness-aye, Girman-aye, Woelfel-aye). The County of Door and Wisconsin Department of Transportation will be notified of the name change.
2) Ordinance No. 01-2011 “Public Nuisance.” Motion by Zipperer and second by Girman to approve Ordinance No. 01-2011. Following roll call vote, motion carried, unanimously (Zipperer-aye, Tice-aye, Staveness-aye, Girman-aye, Woelfel-aye).
3) Ordinance No. 02-2011 “Regulations on Outside Storage, Unsightly Premises and Hazards.” Motion by Staveness and second by Girman to approve Ordinance No. 02-2011. Following roll call vote, motion carried, unanimously (Zipperer-aye, Tice-aye, Staveness-aye, Girman-aye, Woelfel-aye).
4) Ordinance No. 03-2011 “The Keeping of Animals.” Motion by Tice and second by Woelfel to approve Ordinance No. 03-2011. Following roll call vote, motion carried, unanimously (Zipperer-aye, Tice-aye, Staveness-aye, Girman-aye, Woelfel-aye).
5) Ordinance No. 04-2011 “Control of Dogs.” Motion by Tice and second by Zipperer to approve Ordinance No. 04-2011. Following roll call vote, motion carried, unanimously (Zipperer-aye, Tice-aye, Staveness-aye, Girman-aye, Woelfel-aye).
• Sturgeon Bay Fire Department March 2011 fire report and 2010 annual fire report
• Leadership Door County request to participate
• April 2011 zoning permits issued
• April 2011 building permits recap for April 2011
• On May 10th, the clerk enjoyed a visit and tour of the town hall with the Azerbaijan delegates and also a personal interview on May 13th recorded by Laddie Chapman. The guests were most impressed by our open government.
• Tuesday, May 24th – 9:00 am - Redistricting public hearing at Gov Center
• Tuesday, May 31st – 7:00 pm – Zoning Dept Educational Sessions at Gov Center
• Friday, June 3rd – 10:00 am – Open Book
• Wednesday, June 8th – 6:00 pm – Parks & Recreation Board
• Monday, June 20th – 1:00 pm – Board of Review
• Monday, June 20th – 7:00 pm – Board of Supervisors
Agenda Items for Next Meeting
• Fire Chief Tim Herlache – annual report & activities of fire depart.
Adjourn: Motion by Girman and second by Woelfel to adjourn. Motion carried and meeting adjourned at 8:36 p.m.
Linda Wait, Clerk