BOARD OF SUPERVISORS' MEETING- Minutes
Date: Monday, March 25, 2013 - 7:00 p.m.
Location: Town Hall Meeting/Community Room
4528 State Highway 57 (Institute), Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
Call to Order. Vice Chair Tom Girman called the meeting to order at 7:01 p.m.
Pledge of Allegiance. The Vice Chair asked all to rise and join in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Roll Call/Quorum. Roll call, with the following members present: Vice Chair Tom Girman, Supervisor Chuck Tice, Supervisor Dan Woelfel and Supervisor John Staveness. Chairman Leo Zipperer was excused.
Meet ‘n Greet – Public Participation. In addition to the Board members, also present: Linda Wait, Laddie Chapman, Steven Johnson, Maria Milano, Steve Laubenstein, Victoria Cerinich and Del Herrbold.
Agenda/proper notice/adopt. Motion by Tice and second by Woelfel to adopt the agenda, as printed. Motion carried.
7:05 p.m. Special Report: Rural Mutual Insurance/Agent Del Herrbold. Sevastopol First Responders were questioning coverage, in light of recent injury situations in Jacksonport and Baileys Harbor. Herrbold indicated the Town’s insurance kicks in if the County of Door does not cover. Medical coverage is currently up to $5,000 with an aggregate limit of $5 million. Medical could be increased to $10,000 for an extra $40. The County is working on a new agreement regarding coverage; other towns may attach first responders to their fire departments for coverage. Herrbold said the workers compensation premium would be based on class of service and level. Premium would be approximately $1870 based on our budgeted first responder payroll of $6,600. Accident/sickness/death benefit coverage would run about $100 per person annually. We should follow up with the County on a regular basis to see what progress is made.
The Town is covered for any liability on off-premise signage situations. Coverage for the coastal byway sign (based on $10,000 value) would be approximately $146 per year.
Approval of Minutes: Motion by Staveness and second by Tice to approve the minutes of February 18, 2013. Motion carried.
Financial Reports. Motion by Tice and second by Staveness to approve the budget vs. actual, account balances and transaction reports for February 2013. Motion carried.
Vouchers / Bills / Claims. Motion by Tice and second by Woelfel to approve the vouchers, bills and claims for the period February 19, 2013 through March 25, 2013. Motion carried.
Oral Committee Reports & Committee Minutes. Tice reported that the Door County Tourism Zone Commission was recently made aware that the State will no longer fund the water quality testing program for public beaches in Door County. The cost is about $56,000 per year and contributions will most liked be solicited from municipalities and the County.
Pending Business– Status/Discussion/Action:
A. Door County Coastal Byway Kiosk:
1) Review previous action regarding funding
2) Project Location – Forest Road/Hwy 42-57 or Alternative
Board members reviewed the January 28, 2013 motion, which indicated that the Town’s maximum additional exposure for the kiosk cost would be $5,150 with the prospect of having the sign installed at the Forest Road/Highway 42-57 intersection. With assistance from the property owner, Steve Laubenstein/SKL LLC, substantial reductions in the total costs have been obtained. Staveness was concerned with the cost overruns from the original plan, long term expenses, such as plowing, lighting and landscaping, plus apprehension as to traffic safety at that intersection. Tice indicated that a formal agreement and lease terms will be prepared and brought forward for Board approval. Motion by Tice and second by Woelfel that the kiosk project has met the funding concerns of the Board and that the project be approved for installation at Grandma Tommy’s (Forest Road/Hwys 42-57) as proposed. Motion carried, unanimously.
B. Newsletter. Woelfel requested articles on the Dunes Lake Watershed, Coastal Byway, First Responders and conservation subdivision status. Goal is to have articles in hand by April 15th.
C. Clark Lake launch/ramp. Woelfel reported that work will likely begin June 1st, after fish spawning season. The steel ramp will be temporarily repaired and installed; the pier will not go in.
D. 5411 West Shore Drive – property in non-compliance. Owner has indicated that she will be talking to a realtor and plans to list the property. The clerk will follow up on or about June 12, 2013.
New Business– Discussion/Action:
A. Application for Alcohol Beverage Class B Wine License. Parallel 44 Vineyard & Winery, Inc., doing business as Door 44 Winery, to be located at 4020 State Hwy 42/57, Sturgeon Bay WI, applied for a Class B Wine license for the period beginning May 1, 2013. Winery managers Maria Milano and Steve Johnson were present and explained their intentions. This would be at the Grandma Tommy’s/SKL LLC property in the unit currently under construction. Motion by Girman and second by Staveness to approve the Class B Wine only alcohol beverage license for the period May 1, 2013 to June 30, 2013. Motion carried, unanimously. A warm welcome and best wishes for a prosperous year were extended to Door 44 Winery.
B. Wisconsin Towns Association. Motion by Woelfel and second by Staveness to approve renewal of the annual WTA membership dues ($695) and to enroll in the on-line educational service ($50 for 2013-2014). Motion carried, unanimously.
C. Door County Tourism Zone Commission & beach water testing program. See above, Oral Committee Report.
The following correspondence was accepted and placed on file:
• WTA 2013 Town Officials Workshop notice
• Port-A-Pier – water level and pier placement
• Door County Planning – Sargent granting of conditional use permit for auto repair business
• Independent Inspections Ltd – notice to Jeff Peterson re auto repair business
• February 2013 building and zoning permits
• Thank you from Whitefish Bay Association – use of town hall for “Soup Bowl” event
• Charter Communications – quarterly franchise fee payment
• Wis DNR – aids payment for tax year 2012
• Wis DOA – notice of 2013 legislative session and fire/medical services funding
• Town of Baileys Harbor – notice of amended comprehensive plan
• U.S. Fish & Wildlife and The Ridges Sanctuary – Hine’s emerald dragonfly protection project
• County of Door – amendatory zoning ordinance re outdoor recreational uses, telecommunications towers, natural features protection maps, off-premise parking, multiple occupancy and road setback
• Notice of timber cutting – Randal Leist
• WisLine – teleconference series on Local Government Essentials
• Public test for Spring Election – Wednesday, March 27th at 10 am – Sevastopol town hall
• Spring Election – Tuesday, April 2nd polls open 7 am to 8 pm
• Annual Town Meeting – Tuesday, April 16th - 6:30 pm at Sevastopol town hall
• Sevastopol Plan Commission – Thursday, April 11th 7 pm – Sevastopol town hall
• Door County Unit of WTA – Thursday, April 18th – 7 pm at Liberty Grove town hall
• Board of Supervisors – Monday, April 22nd – 7 pm at Sevastopol town hall
Agenda Items for Next Meeting:
Process on appeal to the RPC
Ordinance amendment for collection of room taxes and issuance of permits
Adjourn. Motion by Staveness and second by Tice to adjourn. Motion carried and meeting adjourned at 8:47 p.m.
Linda Wait, Clerk