BOARD OF SUPERVISORS' MEETING – MINUTES
Date: Monday, November 17th2014 - 7:00 p.m.
Location: Sevastopol Town Hall Meeting/Community Room
4528 State Highway 57 (Institute), Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
Call to Order. Town Board Chairman Leo W. Zipperer called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m.
Roll Call/Quorum. In addition to Zipperer, Board members were introduced and constitute a quorum: Supervisor Dick Weidman, Supervisor Chuck Tice, Supervisor Dan Woelfel and Supervisor John Staveness.
Meet ‘n Greet – Public Participation. Also present cable program director Laddie Chapman and clerk/treasurer Linda Wait.
Agenda/proper notice/adopt. Motion by Staveness and second by Tice to approve the agenda, as noticed. Motion carried.
Approval of Minutes. Motion by Tice and second by Woelfel to approve the Board of Supervisors’ meeting minutes of October 27, 2014. Motion carried.
Financial Reports. Upon correction to September account transfers, motion by Tice and second by Staveness to accept the financial reports for September and October 2014, including fund balances, budget and actual YTD and transaction lists. Motion carried.
Oral Committee Reports & Committee Minutes. None
Licenses & Permits. Door County zoning file report and Independent Inspections, Ltd. building permit recap and special billing for the month of October 2014 were accepted to be placed on file. Construction has seen an upward trend for the fall season.
Pending Business– Discussion/action:
1)Implements of husbandry (ag vehicles). Zipperer recapped the informational session held this morning with Door County Highway Commissioner John Kolodziej, State Trooper Austin and Sheriff Lt. Farley. Kolodziej is leaning toward Option F: abide by Act 377, no ordinance or resolution required and no publishing required, but local governments must respond to permit applications to exceed 23K/92K/weight table limits. A decision needs to be accomplished by January 15. The item will be brought back next month for a policy statement.
2) November 4thelection report. Wait reported that 1,673 ballots were cast, representing 78% of our 2,134 registered voters. There were nearly 100 new registrations completed and 363 absentee ballots processed on election day. (Absentee voting was good for sales of town promotional items—caps, cards and mugs.) The town retained its Republican majority by 60%. Wait extended a thank you to the great crew of pollworkers, the day went smoothly with no major incidents.
Sevastopol has been randomly selected to perform a hand count post-election audit and Wait has set aside December 3rdand 4thfor that undertaking.
New Business Items– Discussion/action:
1) 2015 Meeting Schedule. A draft meeting schedule was presented and board members will review for conflicts. The following 2015 dates are firm: annual town meeting on April 21st at 6:30 p.m., 2015 Open Book on Friday, May 29thbeginning at 10:00 a.m., and 2015 Board of Review on Monday, June 22ndbeginning at 1:00 p.m.
2)Notice of Municipal Offices for 2015 Spring Election. Election for the offices of town board chairman and two supervisors will be held on Tuesday, April 7th2015. Nomination papers are available from the clerk. The first day to circulate nomination papers is December 1, 2014 and the final day for filing nominations papers is 5:00 p.m. on January 6, 2015.
3) Statement of Assessment. The final statement of assessment for 2014 for the Town indicates an aggregate assessed value of $718,079,500 (increase of $3.5M from 2013).
4) Street lighting fixture replacement. Jason Bieri from Sturgeon Bay Utilities suggests that the Town budget a few extra dollars for replacement of street lights in 2015. The matter will be brought back.
5)Review and Adoption of 2015 Budget. There were no changes proposed for the 2015 budget. See resolution below.
6) Tax bill insert. Contact Wait if there are any additions to the draft informational insert to be included with the 2014 tax bills.
7) Town Park tree lighting ceremony. Board members will decide on date and time, first week in December.
8)Christmas Open House. There will be an open house at the town hall on Friday, December 19thfrom 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. Santa may be making a special appearance.
No. 04-2014 TB “Establish Tax Rate 2014” to be collected in 2015.” Motion by Weidman and second by Tice to approve Resolution No. 04-2014 TB with a tax levy of $649,106 and a tax (mill) rate established at $0.903947 for the year 2014 (to be collected in 2015). Motion carried, unanimously.
Approval of Vouchers / Bills / Claims. Motion by Tice and second by Woelfel to approve the vouchers, bills and claims for the period October 28, 2014 through November 17, 2014. Motion carried.
Correspondence. The following correspondence was accepted to be placed on file:
? Notification of 2014 post-election voting equipment audit
? Reminder that room tax must be collected on transient rentals (less than 30 days)
? Zipperer reported that the 2015 County total expense budget is at $74M, with expected revenues of $47M and a tax levy of $26.938M. The budget includes six new paramedic positions and a 3-year $2.7M fiber optic system contract with Nsight. Weidman said that Sevastopol School has committed to the fiber optic system and expects all Door County school districts will1 do the same.
? Office closed for Thanksgiving Day holiday – Thursday & Friday, November 27th& 28th
? Sevastopol Historical Society Christmas party – Monday, December 1st- 6:00 p.m.
? Glidden Drive Association holiday party – Saturday, December 6th– 4:00 p.m.
? Next Board of Supervisors’ meeting – Monday, December 15th– 7:00 p.m.
Agenda Items for Next Meeting:
? Implements of husbandry
? Street lighting fixture replacement
? Report from Property Maintenance Committee
? 2015 meeting schedule
Adjourn. Motion by Tice and second by Weidman to adjourn. Motion carried and meeting adjourned at 7:47 p.m.
Linda Wait, Clerk