Home : FAQs and How To


Non-emergency Door County Sheriff's Department 920-746-2400

Non-emergency Sturgeon Bay Fire Department 746-2916


Where do I pay my real estate taxes?

ALL PAYMENTS for Real Estate Taxes are made to the:
421 Nebraska Street, Second Floor
(920) 746-2286

Taxes payable in installments (January 31st and July 31st) .  Door County Land Records information available at https://pubinfo.co.door.wi

 What if I need to Change my Mailing Address?

Please contact Clerk / Treasurer, 746-1230 or email [email protected] if you have a change of address for your property tax bill.


Does my Dog need a License?

Yes.  All dogs in the Town of Sevastopol are required to be licensed. (Application under "Forms & Permits)  To obtain a dog license, please send proof of vaccination and payment to:
4528 State Highway 57
Sturgeon Bay  WI 54235
$3 Neutered male / Spayed female
$8 Intact male / Intact female
$35 Kennel (first 12 dogs)
PROOF OF VACCINATION must include name, sex, color, breed, date, expiration and manufacturer of vaccine (it will be returned to you with your dog license).

Stray dog or cat?   Contact Animal Control: Contact Mark Richard, Animal Control Officer, at 421-0828 or 868-3924 or call the Town office at 746-1230. 

  Looking for a pet to adopt?  Contact the Door County Humane Society at 746-1111.


Does the Town offer municipal garbage and/or recycle pick up?  

No, sorry, the Town does not offer this service.  You might want to check with your neighbor as there might be a "package offer" in your neighborhood.  Or check the yellow pages, as several haulers do provide service throughout our Town.  You can also take your garbage (there is a charge) and recycles (no charge at this point) to drop off locations--Advanced on Egg Harbor Road and Door County Refuse on Shiloh Road.


What/Where is the Sevastopol PEG Cable Channel?

It is available to Charter Communications customers on Charter Channel 986.  Contact Program Director Laddie Chapman at 743-8400 or [email protected].  Sevastopol's PEG (public/education/ government) channel can be received by any Charter Cable TV subscriber in Door or Kewaunee County, but channel numbers can be different. Chater cable is not accessibly by all areas in Sevastopol.


I need to reach Sevastopol School?

  Phone number is 920-743-6283. Address 4550 State Highway 57, Sturgeon Bay WI 54235.  They are separate from the town.


Do I need a building permit?  zoning permit?    

You obtain a building permit (new construction, remodeling, additions, demolitions, moving structures, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc.) from the Town's building inspection service:

W241 S4135 Pine Hollow Court
Waukesha WI 53189
Tel: 800-422-5220
Fax: 262-544-8299
The Building Inspector's office hours are by appointment -- please call their (800) number.

Building permit applications and relative information are also available at the town office 746-1230.

Since the Town of Sevastopol follows the Door County Zoning Ordinance, you obtain a zoning permit (setbacks, wetlands, zoning, useage, etc.) from the Door County Zoning Department, telephone 920-746-2323 and located at the Government Center in Sturgeon Bay.  NO MATTER WHAT THE PROJECT, ALWAYS CHECK WITH DOOR COUNTY ZONING TO SEE IF A PERMIT IS REQUIRED.

New driveway?  Be sure to obtain a driveway permit first (downloadable at Forms/Permits/Rental).  There is no fee--call town office 746-1230.


 Town Assessor?

The Town contracts for assessment services:

Associated Appraisal Consultants, Inc.
1731 W. Washington St., P.O. Box 2111
Appleton, WI 54913-2111

Tel:  1-800-721-4157
Fax: (920) 731-4158

If you have a question on your assessment, contact the town office (746-1230) for an "Assessment Review" form.  After completion, it will be submitted to our assessor who will be in contact with you to review your current assessment and how it was arrived at.

Town Office Hours?

Regular office hours Monday through Friday are 8:00 am to 4:30 pm (note, Tuesday mornings by appointment only--please call first.)   The clerk may be away for out-of-office obligations, meetings, etc., so it may be best to call first.  If the clerk should be away from the office for an extended period, such absence will be noted on voicemail and the office door.   Additional hours available by appointment.  Our Town Hall is located at 4528 State Highway 57 in Institute, approximately 5 miles north of Sturgeon Bay.  Telephone 746-1230; Fax 746-1245; email [email protected]

How do I make a request for records?

The public may obtain information and access to records in the custody of the clerk or other officers, make requests for records or obtain copies of records.  Notice of Records Access.pdf


 How do I rent the Town Park Pavilion or the Town Hall?

Our Town Hall is located at 4528 State Highway 57 in Institute, approximately 5 miles north of Sturgeon Bay.  The Town Hall Community Room is available for rent; a smaller Conference Room is also available for Community-based organizations.   The community room can accommodate up to 100 persons, with plenty of chairs and tables on hand.  There is a small catering kitchen.  The facility is handicap accessible, with no stairs or steps.

The Institute Town Park Pavilion is also available for rent on a seasonal basis.  There is a covered pavilion with picnic tables, playground, 2 softball fields and 1 baseball field. 

 Contact Town office [email protected] or phone (746-1230) for more information.  Reservation form and guidelines on use are available at "Forms & Permits" link to the left, user fee as established by the Town.  Questions, contact Clerk at 746-1230.

Road Condition? Snow Removal?

To report a road concern, please contact Chairman Dan Woelfel 920-743-8686 or Clerk 746-1230 or one of the other Town Board Supervisors--phone numbers at the bottom of this page or available under "Contact Us."

Brush Burning and Burn Barrel Permits?

Per the Door County Outdoor & Refuse Burning Ordinance, permits are required for open burning (brush). You can obtain a burning permit from the Sturgeon Bay Fire Department by calling their non-emergent number at 920-746-2916.


Burn Barrel permits can be obtained at the Clerk's office.


What's with Room Tax?  Can I rent out my house/cottage?

       Sevastopol is a member of the Door County Tourism Zone Commission.  If you offer transient rentals (less than 30 days stay), you must obtain a lodging permit and collect room tax.  You can apply for a lodging permit by completing a  Lodging Permit Application.pdf.  A monthly room tax report is due within one month following the month you are reporting, for example reporting for period ending July 30th, report is due by August 31st.  Monthly Room Tax Report.pdf  Instructions  Instructions for lodging permit application.pdf Questions, call the Tourism Zone Commission at 920-854-6200.  In order to better help property owners understand the requirements for transient rental in Door County, the DCTZC has a new video to assist in educating those who may be considering rentals or who may already be renting without a permit.  The YouTube link for the video is:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgNiM_XOSlM